Friday 29 June 2012

Scrumping with coz...

off we set... 
 so sweet in new summer dresses,




looking for all the world like we'd just stepped out of an Enid Blyton novel.


Hair brushed to a wavy unruly shine - mine
Coz's sleek mane courtesy of a night in dinky metal curlers,
her looking always band-box pretty -
me just looking - me!


At a loose end we wondered what to do...
'Let's go scrumping'
Off we set...
Apples - No far too early...
far too tart.
The damsons were plump and ripe for the picking.
With tummies full, sitting under the tree
we decided that taking some home would be a very good idea.
Wouldn't our mum's be pleased!
Trouble was, we didn't have any swag bags.
'I know I'll carry them in the front of my dress!'
No guesses as to who said that? 

We made our way home, with the ripe fruit getting squashed
with each step.
On arrival, I looked for all the world like a victim of the chainsaw massacre.
Damson juice ran in rivulets down my legs.


We stood side by side at the back door; 
with a gimlet eye
my mother's gaze grazed over the sight.
Me with a face wreathed in smiles
and legs looking like menstration had come early.
Coz looking for all the world 
Pears soap squeaky clean.


'Bye coz!'
I said as my mum ushered me in,
blissfully unaware of the storm brewing.


My new dress was for ever ruined with the damson juice.
I ran up the stairs crying, as on each step,
 the backs of my chubby legs got a whack.













No comments:

Post a Comment